Thursday, March 22, 2007

Looking For An Excuse

I got a C on the exam I took the day that I went through all that hell with the tow lot.  I used that as an excuse.  I did poorly because I was tired and cranky and I hadn't eaten.  I hadn't cracked a book all week either. 

But only one person in our class and one person in the other section of the same class got anything higher than a C.  And the prof is sitting here letting us all have it about how we need to know this stuff. 

I think a lot of the questions were ambiguous and poorly worded.  I also know from experience that this prof comes to expect things that she hasn't made perfectly clear.  She want us to read her mind when it comes to formatting, etc.  And then she swears up and down that she told us exactly what she wanted.  Lady, there are at least fifteen people adamantly saying that, No, you did not tell us this. 

So back to the original subject.  The test.

Doesn't that tell you something when the majority of your students did quite poorly on your exam?  Half of the class got D's and three people failed!  These are all students who have received nothing but A's and B's their entire college career.  I know this isn't the kind of test that would be graded on a curve, because a lot of the answers were essay and such.  However, I think that most profs (and maybe they have been too easy on us) would look into it and perhaps take some fault of their own, or maybe offer some extra credit.

This was enough to make a few people get quite upset.  One girl was in tears and was about to walk away from her entire college career over this.  Granted, she's going to need a bit tougher skin than that, but this goes to show you how important it is to students in this program to perform well.  This is a program where a D as a final grade is considered not passing.  And this is the last required course before students enter their internships!

I've probably lost you by now, dear reader.  You've been to college, you know it's tough.  At the university this may happen all the time.  I have a feeling that they have a great deal more slackers and less time to grade and sit down with individual students.  This is a class of less than 15 that I am in.

There are better things to get worked up over than a C, I just needed to rant and rave about this.  What do you think: If everyone does poorly on an exam, do you think it is through some fault of the professor?

I just need someone else to blame I think.  Wait, don't answer that.  Unless you totally agree with me.  Or if you wanna set me straight, now is the time to do so. 

No comments: